Silencer Legality Map

Missouri (MO) What NFA Class 3 Firearms can I own?


There are several types of Class 3 items that are restricted by the National Firearms Act (NFA).
Each state can impose additional restrictions on the sale, purchase, and transfer of class 3 firearms in addition to the compliance that is required with the national Firearms Act. In Missouri you can own the following items that are regulated the NFA:

  1. Machine Guns
  2. Short Barreled Shotguns (SBS)
  3. Short Barreled Rifles (SBR)
  4. Any Other Weapon (AOW)
  5. Silencers

Can I legally hunt with a silencer in Missouri?

Yes, in Missouri silencers/suppressors are legal to own and use for hunting as long as you legally qualify to own one.

What are the requirements for buying Silencers?

Most people don’t realize suppressors are completely legal to own under federal law. Some states prohibit private ownership of silencers. Silencers are legal for private ownership in these states: Alabama, Arkansas, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

Silencers are regulated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms. There are some people restricted from owning silencers by federal law. These include those under 21, non US residents, and those with felony records. All purchases of silencers must be handled by a Class 3 dealer in the state of the purchaser. We can connect you with a class 3 dealer in your area. It will be the Class 3 in your area who will handle the transfer of the silencer. There is generally a small fee attached to the transfer by the dealer. The dealer will provide you with duplicate ATF Form 4′s and fingerprint cards. Your photo must be affixed to the backside of the form. There is a place on the form where a Chief Law-Enforcement officer (CLEO) must sign. This is to attest that you do not have a criminal record and are not wanted. In most cases this signature is attained from the sheriff. The fingerprint cards will also be completed and signed by the CLEO. Your local class 3 will walk you through this process which can generally be done in the sheriff’s office within an hour or two. The completed form 4 must be sent to the address on the form with a check or money order for $200.00. The $200.00 is a onetime fee charged for transfer of the silencer. The fee is called a transfer fee and is only due upon a change in ownership of the silencer.


After the paper work reaches the ATF it will take at least 30 days to receive the approved paperwork. ATF prohibits your possession of the silencer before the paperwork is approved. A copy of the approved paperwork must accompany the silencer at all times (the original should be stored in a safe deposit box).

 How to Buy a Suppressor (PDF)

Silencer Manufacturers


Advanced Armament Corp.
AWC Systems Technology
Bowers Group LLC
Brügger & Thomet AG (B&T)
BWE Firearms
C3 Defense, Inc.
Coastal Guns

Elite Iron
Gunworks Canterbury

HTG Silencers
Huntertown Arms
J.M.B. Distribution
John’s Guns
Knight’s Armament Company
Lauer Custom Weaponry
Liberty Suppressors
MAE Ltd.
Mike’s Gun Sales & Service
Paladin Armory
PGW Defence Technologies Inc
Precision Weapons Corp.
Quicksilver Manufacturing LLC
Red Jacket Firearms LLC
Reflex Suppressors
Smith Enterprise, Inc.
SRT Arms
SSK Industries
STW Systems, Inc.
SureFire, LLC
SWR Manufacturing, LLC
Tactical Innovations Inc.
The Saddlery & Gunroom
Thunder Beast Arms Corporation
Tibbets America
Valkyrie Arms
XCaliber Firearms

Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. (YHM)

Comments are closed.